The Consulate General of Japan in Boston is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Cultural Assistant. This individual is primarily responsible for coordinating cultural exchange programs. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in U.S.-Japan relations and cultural exchanges. See link for a detailed listing of responsibilities.
Substitute Japanese teacher position
Anticipated start and end dates (subject to change slightly): late April until January 31, 2021 (end date subject to change)
A 7th-12th grade school is located in Dorchester, MA. The schedule currently consists of a hybrid model from 8:30am (log in), with the school day to be from 9am-2:35pm (schedule is subject to change, but still within typical "school hours.") The schedule consists of two Japanese 1 classes, and two Japanese 2 classes, with grade ranges from 8th-11th graders. There's a rotating weekly schedule, with A week with 3 classes (J1, J2, J1) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 J2 class from 10:00-11:05am. Week B has Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 10:05-11:05 J2 class, and Tuesdays and Thursdays with J-002. The rest of the school day is for administrative duties and planning. The schedule for next year is yet to be determined, but will most likely consist of two Japanese 1 levels, and two Japanese 2 classes. To be eligible, you must apply to become a substitute teacher in the school district. The link to apply for a sub position BPS is here: https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/Page/1095
Maruichi Japanese Grocery and Deli is looking for a bilingual (English and Japanese) Evening Shift Supervisor Position. This position comes with medical benefits and is a full-time job. Maruichi is a rapidly growing company, so the potential for growth within the company is large.
The details are as follows:
Title: Evening Shift Supervisor
- Must be bilingual in English and Japanese (preferably at least N2 proficiency).
- Must have familiarity with Japanese food, groceries, and food traditions relating to holidays.
- Strongly prefer candidates with customer service experience
- Strongly prefer candidates with leadership experience
- Be available to work weekday evenings and one weekend day per week
- Handle customer service interactions with both Japanese and English speaking customers as they arise to find equitable resolutions.
- Be able to use standard Tokyo customer service keigo when interacting with Japanese customers.
- Lead the other team members to serving customers in a courteous and efficient manner
- Lead the other team members in stocking and organizing during slow times
- Be able to communicate important issues to the Store Manager as necessary
- Close the store, count down the cash drawers, and lock up
- Salary is commensurate with experience, starting at $15.00/hr for staff with no background. - Medical Benefits/ Health Insurance
- Paid sick leave
- Store discounts
- Skilled staff with excellent product knowledge may be asked to become a purchaser. This position interacts with Japanese wholesale distribution companies. This requires business proficiency in Japanese and basic understanding of Japanese business culture. Salary raise commensurate with increased responsibilities.
-Excellent leaders may be asked to take on management responsibilities at new Maruichi locations. We opened 2 new locations in 2020 and are on track for 3 more in 2021.