Showa Boston is looking to hire two full-time positions within their Student Services department: 1. Administrative Associate and 2. Coordinator of Student Engagement. Please see their respective job descriptions below. For more information or to apply visit our website or indeed.
Showa Boston Institute of Language and Culture is a residential academic institution for about 300 students established by Showa Women’s University in Tokyo in 1988. Its mission is to increase students’ English proficiency, to develop their cross-cultural awareness, and to foster their personal growth. The 40-acre campus rests on a hilltop overlooking the Boston skyline. At the heart of the campus are administrative offices, residences, a dining hall, and educational facilities.
1. Administrative Associate
The Administrative Associate provides operational support to the Student Services Department, contributing to the overall success of the student life program.
Essential Job Functions:
Student Life Program Support
Complete regular key audits for student wings: prepare and distribute keys prior to group arrival, then after departure, collect, re-order, and redistribute keys
Coordinate students’ independent travel, under supervision of the Assistant Director: process applications, maintain student travel database, and produce reports for key administrators on campus. Assure student compliance with travel procedures and guidelines. Share travel summaries with relevant faculty/staff, before the approved travel dates.
Coordinate student trips including overnight/weekends, such as Niagara Falls and New York City
Coordinate group ticket purchases for Boston-area events
Schedule Boston Police community liaison meeting at the beginning of each semester/as needed
Complete daily student mail distribution
Support for/collaboration with the Student Services Staff
Work with Assistant/Associate Directors to produce documents with updated/accurate student itineraries for arrivals/departures
Update and distribute documents for the department and campus, such as orientation schedules, program calendars, and wing lists
Support/collaborate with staff for campus activities, including festivals, events, and workshops. Attend Student Services events both on and off-campus
Help monitor student compliance with departmental and campus procedures, guidelines, and the student Code of Conduct
Serve as a student advisor to help students to succeed in the Showa Boston programs
Serve in Student Services’ on-call duty and departmental late shift coverage rotation
Process administrative forms for purchasing, catering, IT, Facility requests, transportation, etc.
Work a flexible schedule, including occasional nights, weekends, and holidays
Compile and input Student Services data to the online campus planning calendar
Gather departmental information to produce monthly report to President
Work with the Student Services team to design various promotions for Showa programs, including regular posting on the bulletin boards (regular and electronic)
Import and update the institutional student database for each program. Use that data to generate wing lists, departure and arrival lists, keys, and other documents for distribution within the department and on campus
Assist Facilities staff to identify and resolve student concerns about their rooms/wings
Assist with coordinating transportation request via collaborations with Facilities and the bus drivers
Social Media Support
Advise on content, with an eye towards legal and ethical considerations
Participate in regular cross-departmental social media committee meeting
Work with students to create student-driven content for all platforms
Ability to comfortably engage students and a variety of stakeholders, who have varying degrees of English proficiency
Ability to multi-task within a fast paced, intercultural setting
Organizational, interpersonal, communication, program planning, and administrative skills
Ability to deal tactfully with others and exercise good judgment in appraising situations.
Maintain effective, positive working relationships with individuals inside and outside of the organization.
Experience maintaining and organizing high level and/or sensitive information
Ability to initiate and maintain administrative and organizational systems
Capacity to work well as a team member and independently
Working knowledge of relevant software, including MS Office, and InDesign or other design software (preferred)
Prior programming and administrative experience
Experience in Student Services within a residential, university campus preferred
Experience with Japanese culture and knowledge of Japanese language preferred
2. Coordinator of Student Engagement
The Coordinator of Student Engagement is responsible for increasing the visibility of Showa Boston to stakeholders in the community and generating interest in Showa Boston’s community programs. Develop and manage the College Connection Program to increase opportunities for Showa Boston students to engage with American and international students. This position is also responsible for Showa Boston’s social media channels and website.
· Identify key personnel at Boston-area colleges, universities and ESLs through one’s existing connections and manage and create partnerships with institutions and opportunities for student engagement
· Create and manage a series of on and off-campus activities for Showa Boston students to interact with American and international students
· Manage the College Connection Program including recruiting American college students, promoting the program to Showa students, reviewing the program
· Coordinate Engagement on-campus such as Lunch with the President and Tea at the President’s House
· Coordinate and expand existing on-campus clubs and engagement
· Produce a series of discussions and presentations
Social Media and Website Responsibilities
Manage Showa Boston’s social media presence by
· Collecting and producing content from a variety of sources
· Work with students on social media initiatives
· Facilitating social media-related meetings
· Conduct requested marketing proposals and compile them into final form
· Monitor daily each social media platform
· Advise management of any/all potential issues/problems
· Provide any additional support as required/needed
Manage the Showa Boston website by
· Designing and updating pages as needed
· Communicating with different departments and reviewing and editing any update requests
· Writing new content
· Creating photo graphics
· Search Engine Optimization geared towards our target audience
· ADA compliance
· Managing newsletter contact list automation
· Up keeping social media automation (ensuring that recent social media posts are displayed on the website correctly)
· Responding to form questions and introducing members of our community to the appropriate party
· Reviewing analytics
· Backing up website after any major update
Student Services Responsibilities
· Assist with other areas of departmental responsibilities as requested
· Assist with student arrivals and departures, including airport pick-up/drop-offs
· Serve as an informed resource for students to maximize their understanding of American lifestyles/cultural values and of Student Services programs and services
· Chaperon student trips including overnight/weekends, such as the Niagara Falls and NYC weekend
· Attend Student Services events both on-campus and off-campus
· Work a flexible schedule, including some nights, weekends, and holidays
· Participate in the after-hours manager duty rotation
· Support other Student Services staff as needed or as assigned by Director
· Solid organizational, interpersonal, intercultural, communication, strategic planning and negotiation skills
· Ability to deal tactfully with others and exercise good judgment in appraising situations. Maintain effective, positive working relationships with all Showa-related people, contacts, and organizations.
· Ability to produce campus and community-based intercultural student activities and trips
· Capacity to work equally well as a team member or independently
· Working knowledge of Windows-based PC software
· Knowledge of social media marketing and analytics tools, and website content management
· Master’s degree preferred
· 2-4 years’ work experience in engagement or activities coordination on a college/university campus
· Familiarity with Boston-area college and university programming
· Proficiency in MS Office applications and social media platforms. The ideal candidate will also have knowledge of desktop publishing and Squarespace
· Working knowledge of photography, as well as graphic design software preferred
· Knowledge of Japanese language and culture preferred
The Consulate-General of Japan in Boston is hiring one full-time webpage management and public relations staff member. This is a contracted position until the end of March 2022 with the possibility for yearly renewal. The primary responsibility of this position will be to maintain and update the Consulate’s website. The secondary role will be to assist our public relations activities, thereby bridging New England and Japan. The ideal candidate should be adaptable, fast-paced, results oriented, creative, patient, and knowledgeable of website management, social media, and photography applications and software.
To apply, please submit your 1) Resume and 2) Cover letter to email@example.com by October 20, 2021.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
•Update and maintain the Consulate’s website. Create, curate, and manage content for all Consulate social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter).
•Take and edit high-quality photographs of events, meetings, interviews, and other occasions as necessary (both onsite and offsite) for the Consulate and Consul General, to be used for our website, social media, press releases and other mass distribution channels.
•Occasional drafting and proofreading of documents.
•Submit detailed progress reports on social media.
•Assist our public relations activities.
•Other duties as required.
•Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as necessary.
•Strong writing and communication skills
•Knowledgeable of Social Media platforms (Facebook and Twitter)
•Some knowledge of HTML code for use with our Content Management System
•Great photography and image editing skills
•Native-level English required; Japanese language skills desirable
•Solid understanding and interest in Japanese culture
•Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
The Consulate General of Japan in Boston is seeking a highly motivated, team-oriented individual for the position of Cultural Assistant. This individual is primarily responsible for coordinating cultural exchange programs. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in U.S.-Japan relations and cultural exchanges. See link for a detailed listing of responsibilities.