Job at Boston Consulate
This is a great position for a returning JET!
Position Title: Assistant for Economic Affairs
The Consulate General of Japan in Boston is seeking a person for the position of the Assistant for Economic Affairs / Science & Technology Section. The Consulate offers group health insurance coverage, twenty days of paid vacation per year, a number of paid U.S./Japanese holidays, three paid summer holidays, and sick leave. Salary is commensurate with academic and professional experiences.This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in international business, international affairs, or Japanese/American relations.
The position serves as a link between the consulate and local governments and businesses in New England. The ideal candidate will be someone flexible enough to work on multiple projects at the same time, have an understanding of the differences in Japanese and American business cultures, can communicate effectively in both English and Japanese, and have the ability to make connections with a wide variety of local businesses and organizations.
Work hours: Monday–Friday 9:00 A.M.-5:30 P.M.
Lunch break: 12:15 P.M.-1:15 P.M. (with occasional front desk lunch duty)
Occasional overtime is required
The consulate is located in the Federal Reserve Building in Boston. It is across the street from South Station, and is easily accessible by the Red Line, Silver Line, and Commuter Rail.
– Assist the Consul for Economic Affairs and Science & Technology Officer in administrative duties. Examples are scheduling meetings, writing speeches, making contacts with local government agencies, businesses, or other agencies, and assisting visiting delegations from Japan when they visit Boston.
– Conduct basic research on regional economic development and international trade statistics
– Disseminate information about Japanese economic policies and other related information to relevant local entities including responding to inquiries about Japan in economic areas.
-Assist with planning and setting up events such as trade shows, business forums, seminars, networking sessions, and diplomatic receptions.
– Monitor local news outlets for stories that are related to or could affect Japanese companies.
– Other duties as required.
– Bachelor’s degree, with a preference for specializations in international relations, international business, Japanese/East Asian studies, or related disciplines.
– Fluent in English
– Japanese language skills preferred
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Computer skills such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
– Experience living or working in Japan highly preferred
– Basic knowledge of the economic and political situations in both Japan and New England, especially in the Greater Boston area
-Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. The consulate is unable to provide visa sponsorship.
How to apply:
– Please email a cover letter and resume by October 1st, 2013 to:
j.currier at bz dot mofa dot go dot jp, or mail your cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Economic Affairs Section, Consulate-General of Japan in Boston
Federal Reserve Plaza, 22nd Floor, Boston, MA 02210
-No phone calls please