Job: NYC Film Program Associate
New York International Children’s Film Festival (NYICFF) is seeking a Programming Associate. This is a full time position with significant growth potential, working directly with the Artistic Director to program the annual film festival, manage filmmaker and studio relations, coordinate selection committee screenings, and oversee programming interns for this world-renowned organization. The position begins May 2013.
Founded in 1997, NYICFF is the largest festival of film for children and teens in North America and is at the forefront of a movement to define a new, more relevant and compelling film for children. The cornerstone of the organization is the annual four-week March festival, a showcase of the absolute best new film from around the world for ages 3-18. The most recent edition presented 100 films to a sold-out audience of 25,000 attendees and generated over 100 million media impressions. NYICFF is an Oscar qualifying event and our jury includes film luminaries Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, James Schamus, and Gus van Sant.
• Manage a world-wide Call for Entries to assure quality submissions to the Festival. Responsibilities include: reviewing and requesting films from film festival catalogs; communicating with international producers, studios, and festivals; nurturing existing industry relationships and establishing new ones on behalf of the organization; directing and overseeing the work of programming interns; notifying filmmakers of selection; writing compelling, thoughtful film descriptions for the program book; and managing film print traffic for all selected films.
• Work with the Artistic Director and programming staff to curate short and feature film programs, retrospectives, sidebars and special events. The Programming Associate coordinates Selection Committee screenings and is expected to view and be familiar with festival submissions.
• Maintain current and up-to-date knowledge of significant industry developments, films in production, distributor acquisitions, release schedules, and key players within the international and domestic film and animation business.
• Assure integrity of the Festival’s customer relationship management software to track film requests, submissions, and selection status.
• A drive for excellence, as demonstrated in previous academic work or job performance.
• Knowledge of and passion for international and independent film as well as a basic understanding of the functioning of the film industry and international film festival circuit.
• Superb written, oral and electronic communication skills, including the ability to write persuasive, business-professional emails and communicate confidently and effectively by telephone.
• Highly organized, motivated, accurate, and goal-oriented, with ability to think creatively, problem-solve, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to work independently and manage the work of others, as well as collaborate as part of a tight-knit team.
• BA in cinema studies or other humanities major. Opinionated (but non-dogmatic) thinker with a demonstrated ability to write creative, entertaining and authoritative critiques.
• Fluency in French or Japanese a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried, position. To apply, please put “NYICFF Programming Associate” in the subject line and email cover letter and resume to:
Nina Guralnick, Executive Director
New York International Children’s Film Festival
email: jobs at gkids.com