Job: Resident Assistant (RA) at Showa Boston
***(2/12/14) Update from Showa Boston***:
We discovered that at the time these positions were posted on the NEJETAA site, Showa was having email problems. The problem has since been fixed. If you applied or referred a friend to apply to hr at showaboston dot edu between January 10 and 21, please re-submit the application to hr at showaboston dot edu. The extended application deadline is February 18, 2014.
Job Title: Resident Assistant (RA)
Immediate Supervisor: Resident Services Coordinator
This is a live-in position in a women’s dorm mentoring and supporting predominately female, Japanese study-abroad students at an academic-residential campus. Provide diverse, individual, and group learning opportunities for predominately female students to communicate in English and become more familiar with American culture. This position is a non-paid, residential, part-time position, with most work hours occurring on evenings and/or weekends. Full room and board and use of facilities are provided in exchange for services.
• Design and implement intercultural activities and programs on and off-campus, at least once per month.
• Perform weekday/weekend overnight RA duty approximately 2-3 times monthly and holiday duty as needed.
• Be available every Monday evening from 7:00pm to 10:00pm for mandatory RA team meetings, Co-RA meetings, and student leader meetings.
• Chaperone on and off-campus Student Services activities and trips as needed.
• Help prepare for and facilitate student move-in and move-out, including attendance at orientation activities.
• Help create a safe, welcoming residential environment for our students; offer advice and support when needed, for personal and/or academic questions or concerns.
• Actively engage in informal, daily interaction with students on campus.
• Report student welfare concerns to Student Services staff.
• Submit monthly reports to Resident Services Coordinator.
• Participate in all in-service training activities and meetings.
RAs work an average of 10-14 hours per week, predominantly evenings and weekends, in exchange for private room with a private bath (located in a women’s dorm), full meal plan, use of campus facilities (including pool, Jacuzzi, and computer lab), free parking, wireless internet, discounted Japanese lessons on campus, and free shuttle bus (pick up and drop off at Reservoir T stop).
• An appreciation of cultural differences and the ability to work closely and successfully with other cultures.
• Ability to respond to emergencies calmly and effectively; displaying critical thinking skills.
• Experience dealing with conflict and the ability to maintain a sense of humor.
• Self-motivated; able to initiate interactions with individuals or groups.
• Ability to deal tactfully with others and exercise good judgment in appraising situations. Maintain effective, positive working relationships other team members.
• Previous RA experience, study abroad experience, or experience with/appreciation of Japanese culture preferred.
Interested applicants should submit an electronic resume and cover letter to: hr at showaboston dot edu