Resident Assistant job at Showa Boston
Resident Assistant (RA) Position at Showa Boston Institute
Immediate Supervisor: Resident Services Coordinator
• Live-in position mentoring and supporting predominately female, Japanese study-abroad students at an academic-residential campus.
• Provide diverse, individual, and group learning opportunities for students to communicate in English and become more familiar with American culture.
• Position is non-paid, residential, part-time position. Full room and board and use of facilities are provided in exchange for services.
RA’s work an average of 10-12 hours a week, predominately evenings and weekends, in exchange for private room with a private bath, full meal plan, use of campus facilities (including pool, Jacuzzi, and computer lab), free parking, wireless internet, discounted Japanese lessons on campus, and free shuttle bus (Showa to/from Reservoir T stop)
General responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Be available and accessible to students and regularly interact with both wing residents and the Showa Boston community.
• Create a welcoming, safe residential environment.
• Care for students when they need help, including assisting with medical issues as directed by Student Services staff.
• Perform overnight duty as the RA on-call as assigned, approximately 3 times per month.
• Plan, facilitate, and chaperone events for students both on and off campus.
• Facilitate one program/activity per month minimum.
• Participate in Showa Boston community events, held both on and off campus.
• Prepare for, help coordinate, and participate in group arrivals and departures.
• Lead and actively participate in all orientation activities for each incoming group, including but not limited to: Group Arrival, Campus Tour, Welcome Party, City Tour, and Coolidge Corner Tour (all activities typically happen within the first 5 days of arrival).
• Change and update wing bulletin board at least once per semester.
• Hold regular, posted office hours for students.
• Share information with Student Services staff regarding students’ welfare on a regular basis.
• Submit detailed monthly reports to the Resident Services Coordinator.
• Participate in all Resident Assistant staff meetings, including Monday evenings from 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm.
• Participate in Resident Assistant in-service learning workshops.
• Meet weekly with wing co-RA to collaborate on wing activities and budget.
• Meet weekly with wing leaders.
• Meet with co-RA and Resident Services Coordinator as needed.
• Other duties may be assigned based on the needs of the Student Services Department at Showa Boston.
• Native English speaker
• BA/BS degree preferred
• Previous Residence Life and/or Student Life experience preferred
• Interest in and/or experience with international or intercultural education preferred
• Interest in and/or experience with Japanese culture a plus
Send resumes to:
Judy Walter, SPHR
Showa Institute for Language and Culture
420 Pond Street
Boston MA 02130
jwalter at showaboston dot edu